Businesses have until November 20th to ensure their website is compliant with version 2.2 of the IAB’s Transparency and Consent Framework (TCF 2.2). In this article, we’ll be uncovering exactly what this means for advertisers and publishers, and what needs to be done to ensure you stay in the GDPR’s good books.
Key updates in TCF 2.2
TCF 2.2 aims to empower users and improve data transparency. Here are the changes you need to be aware of:
- User Consent is now essential. Legitimate interest can no longer be used as a reason for personalised ads and content. If the user has not opted in, you will be unable to process the personal data required for personalisation.
- Increased data clarity. Businesses are required to be more transparent regarding the purposes for collecting and processing personal data, and the options for users to control their data must be clearer too.
What you need to do (if you haven’t already)
- Update your consent management platform (CMP). This means making it easier for users to return to your website’s CMP if they wish to modify their consent and data preferences. In addition, your CMP is now obligated to show the total number of vendors on the first screen of their interface, with information about each vendor's purpose available on the second.
- Ensure you’re working with compliant partners. It’s important to ensure the publishers/advertisers you work with are fully TCF 2.2 compliant also. If you’re already partnered with Venatus, then you can relax — our team is prepared for the switch and all demand partners will be fully compliant by November 20th.
- Check your TC strings. Luckily, any TC strings created before November 20th will remain valid, even if they're only compliant with TCF 2.1. However, any new TC strings must comply with version 2.2.
Overall, TCF 2.2 brings more data transparency and control for users, which is always a good thing — it means a better experience for everyone involved. So get to work with these tips in mind, and if you want to read more about TCF 2.2, here’s the IAB’s detailed rundown.
Interested in partnering with Venatus? Get in touch via the link below!